Thursday 29 August 2013

Ramen Noodle Burger

This is a unique twist on the classic burger that everyone should try. I saw a video online of this burger being made and I knew I had to try it myself. What's better than eating a burger without the guilt of eating bread at the same time? Who's with me?


*Makes: 2 servings

Ingredients

For noodles:
  • 2 packets of instant Ramen noodles (or you can use any package of egg noodles, I used Sharwood's fine egg noodles, 1 nest/package per person)
  • 2 eggs
For meat:
  • 7 oz. (300g-500g depending on how thick and big you want your burgers) ground beef 
  • 2 tbsp spring onions
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp of chinese all spice seasoning
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 2 slices of cheddar cheese (or another cheese you'd like instead)
  • Splash of oil to fry



Directions

Step 1: Boil the noodles in salted water according to instructions, but do not add the seasoning packet. Drain and leave to cool slightly for a minute. Transfer to another bowl so that you are able to mix with eggs.


Step 2: Crack both eggs in a bowl and beat together. Toss the noodles into the beaten eggs. 

  

Step 3: Divide in four containers/bowls, and press each half into a plastic-wrap-lined mold the same size as you want your burgers to be (4-5” across). Fold the plastic wrap back over the noodles and place a weight on top to compress as they cool . Stick in refrigerator for at least one hour (make sure you have something pretty heavy on each ramen patty and make sure they are as compressed as can be before putting them in the refrigerator).

 

Step 3: Chop your spring onions and mix into the beef with chinese all spice, soy sauce, and salt & pepper. Form two burger patties, a similar size to your buns, keeping them pretty thin.

 

Step 4: Heat up 2 frying pans. Fry the burgers in one pan for a minute or so on each side (don't forget to add your oil!). Remove the chilled ramen burger buns from the plastic wrap and fry in the second pan for 2 minutes on each side so that they get golden and crispy (it may be longer than 2 minutes).

 

Step 5: Construct your Ramen burger with a slice of cheese on top of each burger patty and add any other condiments desired. 


                  
                         Paul enjoying his Ramen Burger like a man
       
I wouldn't recommend using chopsticks...

4 comments:

  1. lol I think I saw the video of SORTED food making this!
    Looks nice. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely worth trying! Fairly easy and such a hit right now :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this recipe but I had a suggestion.

    500g of beef is a lot of beef for two patties. I'm going to use less on my next batch.

    Also a tip for people, really get those ramen patties tightly pressed. Or they fall apart when cooked. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely right, 500g is a lot, but my fiance loves his burgers super thick. I thought putting the 400g to 500g would give people the option of their size but maybe I should revise it and go a bit less. And you are also right about getting the patties tightly pressed, I will add that as well. Thanks for your tips and comments!!!

      Delete